Monday, August 27, 2007

My list

So, I have a few things to accomplish while taking time off to enjoy with Katelyn. And today I did two of them. I refinanced my car since the lease is up in October and I decided to buy it. And, I called about getting cobra insurance to cover me while I am waiting for my license to go through. I didn't realized just how fortunate I was to have insurance fully covered for me and my family during residency. For example, my entire pregnancy and delivery cost a grand total of about $150... that was for some labs that were not otherwise necessary. Today, reality set in when I learned that "family coverage" for just myself and my daughter was over $1000/month... it would have been the same if I had a whole bunch of kids. Who can afford that? Hopefully my ex's insurance will cover Katelyn in an emergency and I can get coverage for just me for the month and then I can add her when I start my new job.

Next I have to check out of residency. My official last day is tomorrow. It is weird to be done after so many years. Of course I will never be done with the studying -- things change to frequently in medicine not to stay up to date. And, I have to buy a plane ticket for Katelyn and I to fly to Ohio to stay with my mom during her surgery. She is having a total knee replacement on September 21. Prayers are welcome and appreciated. I am a little anxious about anyone I am close to going through surgery, especially my mom...

And the rest of my list is full of things that I can't wait to do with Katelyn. I am just hoping that the heat wave ends in the near future so that we can enjoy places like the beach and the zoo without fear of heat exhaustion. I want to take her to the hands on museum and Disney World and O2B Kids. Of course I love spending the quiet times with her as well, reading, playing baby dolls, coloring, singing, dancing and snuggling. I, too, have been guilty in the recent past of living my life like there is always tomorrow. Well, in Hannah's memory I am going to try harder to not wait until tomorrow and start living today in the moment. Yeah, as the song says, "start living, that's the next thing on my list." I'm off to curl up with a good book and a glass of wine.

1 comment:

Angi said...

Oh, how I miss the "curl up with a good book" days. Lately I've been taking books along with me to read in the car, while I wait in line to pick up the kids from school :) But, Zander's non-stop talking does not allow reading anyway, LOL!