Thursday, November 1, 2007

First Trick-or-Treat



Katelyn's first Halloween was a success, despite the fact that she did not have a nap at

daycare :( She looked so cute as a little ladybug. We went over to Dr. O'Reilly's house and ate dinner before heading out around 7. We just went down the street and back, but it was plenty. Katelyn started to say "home, bye-bye" and I knew she was worn out. She didn't quite get it all and I never could get her to say "trick" or "treat" (I knew she would never put it all together). She was very sweet, though, and she signed "thank you" each time. She also signed "please" a few times. She was very pleased that a few of the houses remembered the little ones and had "minems" as she calls M&M's. Her only disappointment was when many of the people were already outside so she couldn't "ding-dong" (press the door bell), which was the highlight of her evening. Her most favorite house had two white rocking chairs like the ones at Cracker Barrel and she kept saying "mommy seat" and "Kaylin seat" and trying to climb in it. It was so sweet.
We gave my Boss's daughter all of the candy that was not toddler friendly, except the Peanut Butter Cups... those are for mommy. One guy even asked Katelyn what mommy would like, and through one in her bag, so I didn't feel bad about keeping them. Just before 8 I put my exhausted baby into her car seat. She took two sips of milk and put her binky in -- about 5 minutes later (or less), she was out. She slept all the way home and I just changed her diaper and put her in a tee shirt (yes it is still hot here) and layed her in her bed.
Today was back to the grind. And while I was giving Katelyn a bath I noticed a mark on her arm that looked an awful lot like... teeth marks. Yes, she has been in daycare 4 days and already some other little munchkin has bitten my baby. Grrrr!!! As I pediatrician I know that there are and will always be some kids who are biters. And it has nothing to do with the home they come from or how they are raised. And it is the one thing that I was nervous about happening to my baby at daycare. It may have been a little better had I been told about the happenings by the daycare teacher. I was told that they would have to fill out an incident report if something like that happened... and no one even told me. First, I cried (okay so I am a little sensitive). Then I called my mom (I needed some perspective). She pointed out that they may not have noticed and just to let them know tomorrow so they can be on the lookout for who the biter may be. I have a small suspicion b/c there is one little boy who is always pulling hair and pinching the other kids. He tried to pinch Katelyn when we had just walked in the door on her FIRST day. I hope that it doesn't become a regular occurrence, or I am going to have to rethink daycare.

1 comment:

Angi said...

ADORABLE!!!

I am sorry to hear about the bite, I remember (you've prob heard this story a million times) when Kaden was bitten as an INFANT...I went off on the staff & embarrassed myself because I worked there too, so I knew how quickly it happens.

You are right about the incident report, I am guessing that they missed it too. But you need to let them know it did not go unnoticed (I am sure you didn't) so they know you are paying attention & holding them accountable.

Yes, it happens, but it still tears at your heart when ever they are hurt ((hugs))